If you’ve recently had surgery, we’re sure cooking is the last thing on your mind. But indulging in fast food or unhealthy heat-and-eat meals is not conducive to optimal healing. Luckily, if you’re in the DC area, your options for healthy fare are large and varied!
Whether you’re recovering from a procedure or just interested in finding a great local restaurant, check out this list of the top healthy restaurants in DC!
Focus on Fiber: Top Vegetarian Restaurants in DC
High-fiber foods are not only healthy, they can also help with one of the most dreaded side effects of surgery and pain medication: constipation. Fresh vegetables, fruits, and whole grains are loaded with fiber, so vegetarian dishes are an especially great way to get what your body needs after surgery. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Beefsteak is a unique salad bar offering a huge variety of vegetable based “bowls.” They’re also famous for a vegan sandwich that’s both healthy and delicious: the beefsteak “burger” is composed of a giant slice of beefsteak tomato covered with pickled onions, sprouts, herb mayo, and served on soft brioche bun.
- Rasika is a tasty Indian restaurant that serves a wonderful palak chaat, which is lovingly prepared with baby spinach, sweet yogurt, tamarind, and date chutney to create a tangy but sweet dish—it may even become your new favorite comfort food! Indian dishes also often include turmeric, a spice known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Toki Underground is your opportunity to enjoy the comfort of soup with a Taiwanese kick. Try the vegetable ramen for a tasty mix of vegetable broth, tofu, shiitake mushrooms (mushrooms are high in vitamin D!), daikon, and an array of other vegetables.
Bonus: think sweets are off the menu? Think again! Indulge in vegan, fruit-based, and low-sugar sorbet or gelato at Killer ESP for a treat that’s tasty and healthy!
Lunch on Lean Protein: Great Seafood & More in DC
If you’re not a vegetarian, lean meat protein is a great way to keep your energy up and fuel your body while it’s healing. Poultry and seafood are wonderful options—and vegetarians can swap for tempeh, tofu, nuts, and other non-meat-based proteins. Check out these great options:
- BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant offers a delicious variety of fresh, well-prepared seafood options. We recommend the blue shell mussels, which come with multiple options for sides, garnishes, and sauces based on popular dishes around the world.
- Protein Bar is a great stop for a yummy, filling lunch. Try one of the “bar-ritos,” which are loaded with both lean protein like all-natural chicken and vegetarian options such as organic quinoa and black beans. Don’t forget to grab a cold-pressed juice to wash it down!
- The Oceanaire Seafood Room is a must-dine for fans of fish. Try the Alaskan coho salmon in lemon butter for a healthy, tasty meal, or indulge in a cold-water lobster thermidor for an extra bit of decadence.
It’s important to make sure you’re eating the right foods for healing, and we hope this list has given you a place to start. What are your favorite healthy options in and around DC? Let us know in the comments below!