Center for Plastic Surgery
3299 Woodburn Road, Suite 490
Annandale, VA 22003
Phone: (703) 560-2850
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Center for Plastic Surgery
5550 Friendship Blvd, Suite 130
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
Phone: (301) 652-7700
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
As we grow older, our skin can become damaged and begin to wrinkle and lose volume. The resulting fine lines, dark shadows, and hollowed cheeks age your face, making you look older than you feel. Dermal fillers rejuvenate the skin and make patients from Chevy Chase, MD, and Washington, DC, look instantly refreshed. By adding youthful volume and smoothing out imperfections, men and women can feel confident in their appearance and put their best face forward.
What Are Dermal Fillers? How Do They Work?
Dermal fillers are injectable treatments that improve the appearance of the skin. They are typically used to restore volume and add definition to the face. Different brands and types of fillers utilize different active ingredients. The most common ingredient is hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance in the body that hydrates the skin.
We offer a variety of dermal fillers that are safe and effective for multiple areas of the face. Our providers can guide you toward the option that is best suited to your individual goals.
- JUVÉDERM®: A hyaluronic acid-based filler, JUVÉDERM plumps up connective tissue beneath the skin to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It is effective for enhancing the lips and smoothing out nasolabial folds.
- JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC: This specially formulated version of JUVÉDERM uses a thicker gel to add volume to the cheeks. It is an excellent way to restore facial contours and create a fuller, more youthful appearance.
- JUVÉDERM VOLLURE™ XC: A firm, cohesive gel that can treat moderate to severe facial wrinkles. It is commonly used to treat the deep “smile lines” that form around the mouth and nasolabial folds.
- JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC: This filler uses a lower concentration of hyaluronic acid than other products in the JUVÉDERM line. It smooths out fine lines and adds gentle, natural-looking volume to areas like the lips.
- RADIESSE®: Containing tiny, calcium-based microspheres, RADIESSE helps support the structures beneath the skin and promotes collagen growth. It helps restore lost volume around areas such as the corners of the mouth or the jawline.
How Different Filler Ingredients Work
Hyaluronic acid (JUVÉDERM®, JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC, JUVÉDERM VOLLURE® XC, JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC)
- A naturally occurring substance that helps the skin hold moisture
- Varying gel consistencies, depending on formulation
- Soften lines and shadows by filling in the tissue underneath your skin
- Works well for the lips, cheeks, and nasolabial folds
- Results can last for 6 months to 2 years
Calcium hydroxylapatite (RADIESSE®)
- Made of tiny microspheres that create a supportive scaffolding underneath your skin
- Spheres are suspended in a water-based gel carrier
- Supports your own body’s collagen production to add natural-looking volume
- Works well for marionette lines, nasolabial folds, and along the jaw and mouth
- Results can last for 12 to 18 months
What Issues Can Dermal Fillers Treat?
Different fillers specialize in treating different issues. However, they are commonly used to:
- Soften creases, fine lines, and wrinkles
- Add volume to shallow contours
- Create fuller cheeks
- Plump up thin lips
- Lighten undereye shadows
- Restore a sharper jawline
- Fade the appearance of old scars
How Much Do Dermal Fillers Cost in Washington, DC?
The cost for dermal fillers ranges from $425 to $825 for the first syringe and $400 to $785 for the second syringe, depending on the specific filler used. When you come in for a consultation, you will be provided with a specific price estimate.
What Happens During a Dermal Filler Treatment Session?
Treatment will begin with your provider marking your desired target areas. The provider will then apply a numbing cream to the skin to reduce any potential discomfort. After the treatment area is prepped, they will carefully inject the filler. The number and depth of the injections will depend on the issue being treated and your desired result.
The injection process takes around 15 to 30 minutes. There is no downtime required afterward, and patients can return to their normal activities. Some mild bruising around the injection area may last for a few days. This side effect can be camouflaged easily with a light layer of makeup.
How Long Do Dermal Fillers Last?
The body naturally absorbs the ingredients in dermal fillers over time. Your results may last between 6 months to 2 years, depending on the product and the amount injected. However, each patient is unique, and your body may metabolize the product at a slightly different rate. Most patients schedule touch-up appointments every few months to maintain their desired look. Closely follow your provider’s instructions to preserve your results for as long as possible.
Can Dermal Fillers Be Combined With Other Treatments?
Yes, dermal fillers can be combined with other cosmetic treatments. BOTOX® Cosmetic is a popular choice for those looking to fight the signs of aging. BOTOX can soften wrinkles caused by the movement of facial muscles, while fillers add youthful volume and contours. When used together, patients can enjoy comprehensive results and take years off their appearance.
It’s easy to “mix and match” dermal fillers with other popular skin treatments. If you would like to learn more about your options, our staff can guide you toward a suite of procedures that will help you achieve your goals.
Dermal fillers are an excellent nonsurgical option for refreshing the skin and rejuvenating your appearance. If you’re from the Chevy Chase, MD, or Washington, DC, area and would like to learn more about what JUVÉDERM and RADIESSE can do you for you, please request a consultation online.Back to Top