For women considering a tummy tuck at our plastic surgery practice near Bethesda, MD, the question of whether future pregnancies will be possible is a common one. Because the surgery is so often considered a post-pregnancy procedure, many moms and moms-to-be aren’t sure whether they’ll need to wait to enjoy the many benefits.
In this blog post, we’ll answer this popular question and provide some more in-depth information about the possibility of pregnancy after the surgery.
Is it possible to have a baby after a tummy tuck?
Yes, it is entirely possible to have a baby after a tummy tuck. A tummy tuck will not medically change your ability to get pregnant. The surgery only addresses skin, muscle, and fat, so it does not alter your reproductive system and will not affect your fertility.
Is it worth it to get a tummy tuck before having a baby?
Whether the surgery will be worthwhile is a personal choice. Additional pregnancies after a tummy tuck can cause some unwanted effects. These may include:
- Additional stretch marks
- Stretching or widening of your post-surgical scar
- Return of loose, lax abdominal skin
- Separation of abdominal muscles (diastasis recti)
- Weight gain around the abdomen
These effects typically alter or even negate many of the improvements a tummy tuck is intended to deliver. For this reason, many women choose to wait.
What are the benefits of waiting until I’m finished having children to get a tummy tuck?
Choosing a tummy tuck when you are finished having children provides many benefits, including longer-lasting results, the ability to disguise c-section scarring, and the opportunity to enjoy more comprehensive enhancements via a mommy makeover.
- Longer-Lasting Results: This is especially the case if you wait until you’re maintaining a stable body weight and are committed to an ongoing healthy lifestyle.
- C-Section Scar Removal: While this can be achieved with a tummy tuck before you’re finished having children, it will be more worthwhile if you do not anticipate further scarring in the future.
- Mommy Makeover: A mommy makeover combines a tummy tuck with a breast enhancement procedure, such as breast augmentation, a breast lift, or both. Because future pregnancies can cause changes to the breasts as well as the abdomen, it’s most effective when you’re finished having children. (Learn more in our previous blog post.)
How soon after a tummy tuck can I get pregnant?
This depends on how quickly your body heals, though many surgeons recommend allowing about 6 months for your abdomen to recover fully. It’s important to follow up with your surgeon to check in on your healing process and make sure your body is ready for a baby.
To see examples of the results you can expect after a tummy tuck at the Center for Plastic Surgery, please visit our before-and-after photo gallery.
Interested in learning more about tummy tuck procedures at our plastic surgery practice serving the Bethesda, MD, area? Please contact us online or call (703) 560-2850 (Annandale, VA) or (301) 652-7700 (Chevy Chase, MD).