The consultation is an essential step in any surgical experience. It’s the time to voice concerns, discuss goals, and create a plan for achieving ideal results. However, many breast augmentation patients here in Washington, D.C., often aren’t sure what actually happens before, during, and after this important appointment.
In this blog post, we’ll review what you should know before heading into your first breast augmentation consultation.
Questions to Ask Yourself
Asking yourself these questions ahead of time will help guide your thinking as you head into your consultation.
- What are my goals for my appearance? Thinking about how you would like to look and determining what you would like to change is an important first step.
- Am I aware of the associated risks? Considering this before your appointment will prepare you to ask your surgeon specific questions, so you can feel informed and secure in your decision.
- Will this procedure improve my life overall? It’s a good idea to be sure about why you’re pursuing breast augmentation—to make sure your mindset is stable and positive.
Researching Potential Surgeons
As you explore potential surgeons, you should always check for certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. This tells you that the surgeon has extensive training and experience, specifically in plastic surgery procedures.
You should also consider which qualities are important to you. Do you value attentiveness, warmth, communication, professionalism? Be ready to look for these traits during your first meeting with your surgeon.
The consultation is essentially an in-depth conversation with your surgeon about the results you’re looking to achieve and the methods the surgeon will use to achieve them. Your doctor will examine your anatomy, listen closely to your desires and concerns, and make thoughtful recommendations regarding implant material, size, placement, and incision location.
You’ll also be able to ask questions about procedure details. A few examples:
- Where will the surgery be performed? Will it be at an accredited facility?
- How much will my procedure cost?
- How long is the recovery period?
- Which type of anesthesia will I be under?
- What are the risks and how do you work to prevent them?
- When and how often will I have follow-up appointments?
- Can you show me before-and-after photos of your breast augmentation patients?
If the surgeon is a great fit for you, your consultation will leave you feeling educated and confident about taking your next step. If you feel uncertain, pressured, or misunderstood, you may want to move on to other options.
Scheduling Your Surgery
After your consultation, the next step is scheduling a date for your procedure. It’s important to note that you should only move forward with this process when you feel completely informed and prepared.
At the Center for Plastic Surgery, we’re honored to help breast augmentation patients achieve their aesthetic goals through positive and empowering surgical experiences. If you would like to start your breast augmentation journey here in Washington, D.C., please contact us online or call (877) 427-7888 to request your consultation.